The last couple of days have been hard for me. I don't know what exactly it is, but the winter days are sad.
Some of these joy dare things have been a little hard to answer. But it's good to think about what makes you happy, the things that you're glad to have in your life.
Day 11: 3 yellow things that strike you as fresh mercy.
1. The sun is striking me, at the moment, as a very beautiful thing. I love and miss natural light. I'll be very glad when the days start getting longer again...
2. I think the phrasing on this is interesting. 3 yellow things that strike you as fresh mercy. Because I tend to think of things not classified as concrete nouns when I think of mercy, but this is suggestive of something a little more touchable than "a new day, with no mistakes in it... yet" (Anne of Green Gables). Anyway, for my second thing. I have a quilt that Mawmaw made on my bed right now. It's not even mostly yellow, but there's some yellow in it, and every time I see it I think of Mawmaw. Quilting, cooking, telling someone where the pie is. Mawmaw is quite a woman. Anyway, it's nice to have this little reminder- and also nice that I get to know her.
3. Daisies. I love daisies. They're so happy. And there's this G.K. Chesterton quote, and it's not really about daisies, but it's why newness and daisies go together in my mind. This is what he says:
“Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we.” -G.K. Chesterton (via Goodreads.com)
I love that. God has never gotten tired of making daisies... or new days. See the mercy in that?
No comments:
Post a Comment