Saturday, February 18, 2012

joy dare forty-five and forty-six

Day 45: A gift in losing something, in finding something, in making something.
In losing something: Jim Elliot said that "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." That kind of stands well by itself, doesn't it?
In finding something: When you lose something and then find it again, you value it more than you did before it was lost. You rediscover its value. 
In making something: I like baking, knitting, sewing, writing... Basically, I like making things. A lot. I think I like it so much because when you put effort into something, you often enjoy it more. When someone compliments me on something or tells me they like something, like a scarf or some rolls, I much prefer to be able to say "Thanks. I made it" than "Thanks. I got it at Target." And making something isn't just fun because other people enjoy it, it's the sense of accomplishment in knowing that you made something that is beautiful or delicious or both, and it's better than it would've been if you'd just bought it somewhere. 

Day 46: 3 gifts in shadows.
1. Cool. You know in the summer, when it's 85 degrees outside and the sun is shining as brightly as it possibly can? When you're outside on those days, it can be such a relief to find a little shade.
Aside from those little peaceful moments, I'm coming up blank on blessing in the shadows today. So I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment